In this report, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security provides guidance for the coordination of web and digital communications related to COVID-19.
Although written to provide guidance for federal communications, the information and resources provided in this report are useful for any government agency to consider when communicating online.
Four guidelines should be followed when designing websites specific to COVID-19:
- First, structure the URL as https://www.agency.com/coronavirus
- Second, only post information directly related to your agency on your agency’s coronavirus page.
- Third, link to the three primary lanes of communication about coronavirus:
- Fourth, do not create a COVID-19 logo for consistency.
Social media outlets that provide trustworthy information that can be shared include:
- Twitter: @CDCgov
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CDC
- Instagram: @CDCgov