This article provides tips for discerning information about COVID-19.
With the abundance of misinformation circulating about COVID-19, it is imperative that individuals know what to do with all the information they come into contact with. Here are some suggestions:
- Consider the source of the information (and the source’s source): even if information someone does not to spread inaccurate information, it can still occur so it is important to evaluate the source of information
- Check your own biases: it is easy to rely on information that we already believe so it is important to critically assess all points of view
- Ask yourself if you’re being constructive: before sharing any information, consider if it is useful information and what others might do with the information you share
- Be emphatic, but also empathetic: your goal shouldn’t be to be right, it should be to be helpful
- Remember that anxiety is natural, but it’s also viral: anxiety compounds to be careful not to contribute to panic