Through this systematic review of peer-reviewed articles, five themes were identified as important lessons for effective social media crisis communication.
This interdisciplinary review aggregates recommendations from a number of studies to offer an understanding of what effective social media crisis communication is about:
- Creating dialogue and choosing the right message, source, and timing
- Being prepared and understanding social media logic
- Using social media for monitoring
- Prioritizing credible traditional media
- Making sure to actually use social media