This video released by the Centers for Disease Control provides guidance to nursing homes and assisted living facilities on how to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
The advice notes that nursing homes and assisted living facilities should:
- Restrict visitors, volunteers, non-essential personnel, cancel field trips for residents, and make sure those who need to leave the facility for medical reasons wear facemasks
- Communicate with residents and families about the new policies, about infection control and prevention practices, and social distancing
- Incorporate alternate methods of conversations such as phone and video conferences
- Screen health care personnel for typical and atypical presentations for COVID-19 and stay home when they are sick
- Visitors may be allowed for end of life situations but such visitors need to be screened