A systematic review on pediatric COVID-19 finds that children appear to be less affected by infection with SARS-CoV-2 compared to adults.
- 24 studies were found that focused on literature related to SARS-CoV- in pediatric populations, 16 of which were pre-prints or reports with uncertain peer-review status
- Review only updated until March 9, 2020, with most data coming from China only
- Only about 2% of reported cases in China were in children and adolescents, while this group makes up nearly 18% of the population
- Most symptoms mild, with asymptomatic cases well documented. However, severe cases of infection did occur
- At that time, no detailed studies of transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from children were found