In this Nursing Management Leadership Q&A, senior vice president and CNO of Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals in Philadelphia provides advice for leaders to support their health care teams to minimize feelings of stress and being overwhelmed.
When asked by an overwhelmed and overstressed leader how to support one’s team, the following advice was given:
- Recognize that you are not alone
- Practice complete transparency
- Communicate in an open, honest, and direct manner
- Care for yourself so you are able to care for others
- Know your limits and ask for help when needed
- Celebrate successes, even the small ones
- Spread gratitude
Communicating not only factual information but also supportive and appreciative comments is essential for health care members to reduce stress and anxiety.