Healthy sleep can help you avoid chronic health conditions like cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
Here are some tips to help you get healthy sleep:
- Go to bed in time to get at least seven hours of sleep each night.
- Most adults require at least seven hours of sleep each night for optimal health and productivity. Some people require more than seven hours to feel well rested.
- Wake up at the same time each morning.
- It is important to develop a regular sleep routine, which includes a regular wake-up time.
- Avoid foods that disrupt sleep, like alcohol and caffeine in the evenings.
- Sometimes, medications can disrupt sleep. Talk to your doctor if you believe a medication is interrupting your sleep.
- Avoid habits that disrupt sleep, such as using tobacco and looking at your phone in bed.
- Bright lights from electronics can interfere with your sleep.
For more information, please visit the American Academy of Sleep Medicine website.