This privacy notice applies only to the Indiana CTSI (https://indianactsi.org/) and explains our practices concerning the collection, use, and disclosure of visitor information. Visitor information collected by Indiana CTSI will be used only as outlined in this privacy notice.
Other units at the university may collect and use visitor information in different ways. Therefore, visitors to other university websites should review the privacy notices for the particular sites they visit. Indiana CTSI is not responsible for the content of other websites or for the privacy practices of websites outside the scope of this notice.
Because Internet technologies continue to evolve rapidly, Indiana CTSI may make appropriate changes to this notice in the future. Any such changes will be consistent with our commitment to respecting visitor privacy, and will be clearly posted in a revised privacy notice.
Collection and Use
When you view pages on our site, the web server automatically collects certain technical information from your computer and about your connection.
This site is hosted on IU Sitehosting, a shared web–hosting environment provided by IU’s University Information Technology Services. For more information about privacy practices related to IU Sitehosting, read the Webserve/IU Sitehosting Privacy Notice Supplement.
Other than information collected by IU Sitehosting, our site/server does not collect any other technical information from your computer or about your connection.
Continued use of our website indicates consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this information as described in this notice.
This technical information is not retained or utilized.
Other than automatically collected technical information about your visit (described above, or cookies, described below), we may ask you to provide information voluntarily, such as through forms or other manual input—in order to make products and services available to you, to maintain and manage our relationship with you, including providing associated services or to better understand and serve your needs. This information is generally retained as long as you continue to maintain a relationship with us. Your providing this information is wholly voluntary. However, not providing the requested information (or subsequently asking that the data be removed) may affect our ability to deliver the products or service for which the information is needed. Providing the requested information indicates your consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this information as described in this notice. Information we may actively collect could include:
- the email addresses of those who communicate with us via email
- telephone number
- information volunteered by the visitor, such as preferences, survey information and/or site registrations
This information is:
- used to customize the content of our site
- used by us to contact visitors for marketing purposes
Information Used For Contact
If you supply us with your postal/mailing address:
- You will only receive the information for which you provided us your address.
We may share aggregate, non-personally identifiable information with other entities or organizations.
We may share personally identifiable information with other entities or organizations, under the following circumstances:
This information is:
- not shared with other organizations for commercial purposes
- disclosed when legally required to do so, at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation, to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our website and applicable laws, or to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our website
We may provide this information to:
- contracted university agents/organizations
We may make some personally identifiable information available, such as:
- your name
- your email address
- other contact information, such as address or telephone number
Except as provided in the Disclosure of Information section below, we do not attempt to use the technical information discussed in this section to identify individual visitors.
A cookie is a small data file that is written to your hard drive that contains information about your visit to a web page. If you prefer not to receive cookies, you may configure your browser not to accept them at all, or to notify and require approval before accepting new cookies. Some web pages/sites may not function properly if the cookies are turned off, or you may have to provide the same information each time you visit those pages.
- store visitors preferences
- record session information, such as items that visitors add to their shopping cart
- record user-specific information on what pages users access or visit
- record past activity at a site in order to provide better service when visitors return to our site
- customize web page content on visitors’ browser type or other information that the visitor sends
This site is not directed to children under 13 years of age, does not sell products or services intended for purchase by children, and does not knowingly collect or store any personal information, even in aggregate, about children under the age of 13. We encourage parents and teachers to be involved in children’s Internet explorations. It is particularly important for parents to guide their children when they are asked to provide personal information online.
Use of Third Party Services
Third-party social media sites may collect information from this site. Indiana University is not responsible for their privacy practices.
This site embeds features from third party social media sites, including:
Access to Information
In some cases, we will grant visitors access to the information we collect about them.
This information includes:
- all information [including proprietary information] that we maintain
Visitors can access this information by:
- writing to us at the listed address
Updating Inaccurate Information
In some cases, we will grant visitors the ability to update or correct inaccuracies in the information that we maintain.
Visitors may correct inaccuracies in:
- contact information that we have on file
- financial information
- unique identifier information (e.g., visitor number or password) that we maintain
- transaction information (e.g., dates on which visitors made purchases, amounts and types of purchases) that we maintain
- communications that the visitor has directed to our site (e.g., emails, visitor inquiries)
Visitors can have this information corrected by:
- sending us email at the listed address
- writing to us at the listed address
Disclosure of Information
Other than sharing your information with other appropriate university personnel and units to ensure the quality, functionality, and security of our website, or manage your relationship with us, we will not disclose personally identifiable information about your use of the site except under the following circumstances:
- With your prior written (including email) consent
- When we have given you clear notice that we will disclose information that you voluntarily provide
- With appropriate external parties, such as law enforcement agencies, in order to investigate and respond to suspected violations of law or university policy. Any such disclosures shall comply with all applicable laws and university policies.
Due to the rapidly evolving nature of information technologies, no transmission of information over the Internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure. While Indiana University is committed to protecting user privacy, IU cannot guarantee the security of any information users transmit to university sites, and users do so at their own risk.
We have appropriate security measures in place in our physical facilities to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of information that we have collected from you at our site.
Once we receive user information, we will use reasonable safeguards consistent with prevailing industry standards and commensurate with the sensitivity of the data being stored to maintain the security of that information on our systems.
We will comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding the privacy and security of user information.
Links to non-university sites
Indiana University is not responsible for the availability, content, or privacy practices of non-university sites. Non-university sites are not bound by this site privacy notice policy and may or may not have their own privacy policies.
Privacy Notice Changes
From time to time, we may use visitor information for new, unanticipated uses not previously disclosed in our privacy notice.
Only data collected from the time of the policy change forward will be used for these new purposes. If you are concerned about how your information is used, you should check back at our website periodically.
If you have questions or concerns about this policy, please contact us.
410 W 10th St Suite 1000
Indianapolis, IN 46202
If you feel as though this site’s privacy practices differ from the information stated, you may contact us at the listed address or phone number.
If you feel that this site is not following its stated policy and communicating with the owner of this site does not resolve the matter, or if you have general questions or concerns about privacy or information technology policy at Indiana University, please contact the chief privacy officer through the University Information Policy Office, 812-855-UIPO, firstname.lastname@example.org.