This case series reviewed the cardiac MRIs of 4 children and adolescents with multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), with findings favoring post-infectious myocarditis without signs of coronary abnormalities.
- Study took place in France
- All 4 children underwent transthoracic echocardiography and cardiac MRI.
- Acute myocarditis occurred <1 week after onset of fever and gastrointestinal symptoms.
- The mean age was 9 years, range 6-12 years, with three being girls.
- Initial transthoracic echocardiography (ECHO) showed:
- Severely decreased LV ejection fraction (LVEF) in one patient (LVEF < 30%)
- Low-normal LVEF in three patients (LVEF > 50%)
- All 4 had transient systolic dysfunction
- On follow-up ECHO, all patients recovered normal ventricular function and kinetics in 48 hours to 5 days.