This is a brief case series study on the placental/membrane SARS-CoV2 RNA PCR swab results of 11 symptomatic mothers with confirmed COVID-19 infection in pregnancy; only 3 were positive for SARS-CoV-2.
- All charts pregnant women diagnosed with COVID-19 who gave birth between March 1 and April 20, 2020 at NYU Langone Health were considered
- Inclusion criteria required documentation of SARS-CoV-2 RNA RT-PCR testing sent from either the placenta or membranes within 30 minutes following delivery
- 32 women with COVID-19 delivered during this time, only 11 met criteria for inclusion
- For the 3 positive samples, all were from women with moderate to severe COVID-19 illness at time of delivery
- None of the infants testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 on days of life 1-5 and none demonstrated COVID-19 symptoms
- Limitations: Only brief report with limited details, including which infants were born via vaginal delivery vs Cesarean section. Infants only tracked for first 5 days of life