This article provides steps for physicians to effectively communicate with their teams during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Communicating during uncertainty is an essential leadership skill, regardless of whether one is in a formal leadership position. The author provides five steps for health care providers to be effective at communicating with team members about COVID-19 and to help reduce anxiety:
- Pause and breathe (calm yourself before communicating with others)
- Put yourself in their shoes (think about what you would want to know if you were in their position)
- Do your research (use credible sources to avoid misinformation)
- Speak clearly and confidently (and be honest about what you know)
- Have specific next steps (provide tangible action items they can take)